About March Gallagher
March Gallagher is the President and CEO of the Community foundations of the Hudson Valley. She is responsible for the overall leadership of the Foundations including donor services, grant-making, and care and custody of Foundation assets.
A resident of Rosendale in Ulster County, March is also an attorney with degrees from Boston University, Bard College, Rockefeller College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. She comes to the Community Foundations having served most recently as Chief Strategy Officer at Hudson Valley Pattern for Progress, focusing on regional quality of life issues.
She has served on the boards of the Mid-Hudson Regional Economic Development Council, Hudson Valley Economic Development Corporation, Hudson Valley Regional Council, Ulster County Development Corporation, Ulster County Workforce Investment Board and Ulster County Industrial Development Agency, which she chaired during 2006 and 2007. She is a current board member with the Hudson Valley Agribusiness Development Corporation and Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine-Middletown.
Learn more about Community Foundations: Website
Learn more about FeedHV: Website
Our discussion focuses on the various food and agriculture related projects going on in the area, to help fight food insecurity and improve access to healthy food options and information for all. It’s a great episode detailing some of the problems we are facing in the region related to hunger, poverty, food storage, health and food waste. It provides a lot of entry points for those looking to get involved with these issues and help to be a positive force.
In our conversation, we discuss:
- The grant-making process and how the Community Foundations of the HV is making positive change in the region
- The effects of tourism on the Hudson Valley economy
- How the Hudson Valley is embracing it’s roots as a home for agriculture as an industry, and the HV Agribusiness Development Corporation
- How the FeedHV app powered by the Chow Match is helping to connect volunteers, donors and agencies to help reduce food waste and fight hunger in the area
- Pattern for Progress Program
- What percentage of grants are driven by donors?
- Hudson Valley Farm Fresh Food Initiative – Learn More
- Free Food Bank Farm Stand Program – Learn More
- What is Applehoni and how is it helping to fight hunger? A unique approach. Learn More
- How the Food Bank of the Hudson Valley’s Backpack Program is helping feed hungry kids – Learn More
- How the Hudson Valley Seed & Poughkeepsie Farm Project are making a difference in building community around farming
- March’s journey from high-strung lawyer in Boston to non-profit president and ceo in the Hudson Valley
- How the Hudson Valley has changed over the last several decades
- and so much more!
- Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley SPECIAL REPORT: Food Security
- Local Economies Project – Learn More
- Mid-Hudson Community Profiles – Learn More
Love the show?
If you love our show, please support us by:
- Sharing it with your friends
- Leaving a comment on the show notes
- Writing a review on iTunes or Facebook
- Donating on Patreon
- Contacting us to learn about sponsorship opportunities
- Contacting us for a feature/interview