About Donna Williams
Donna Williams is the founder of Field Goods, a service that delivers small farm produce and artisan products to consumers at their workplace, schools and community locations.
Donna founded Field Goods in September 2010 after she completed agriculture economic development consulting work for the Greene County Industrial Development Agency in NY.
Field Goods was an inevitable outgrowth of this work, her belief in the positive power of local food and small business, as well as her new venture experience in consumer health, e-commerce, and the natural food industry.
Donna has worked in a variety of industries, for companies that include Bankers Trust, Times Mirror, Mosby, BigStar.com and Sahale Snacks. Donna earned her MBA from Columbia Business School and BA in Economics from Mount Holyoke College. Donna lives in Athens, NY.
Get in Touch with Donna: email
About Field Goods
FIELD GOODS® is based in Athens, NY. The company delivers to over 4,000 customers at approximately 700 locations in 23 NY, CT, MA, and NJ counties. Field Goods has served over 14,000 customers and delivered over 250,000 produce bags. Field Goods has been awarded the 2016 Statewide National Disability Employment Awareness Month, a USDA Local Food Promotion Program Grant and New York State Economic Development Grant.
Website: Field Goods
Ever since I first heard about Field Goods, I knew I wanted to collaborate, and when I started the podcast, I knew I wanted to have on Donna. So, I’m super excited to finally share this episode!
Unlike many of the business owners I speak with on a regular basis, Donna came at business with a strong foundation in how to build a business, do marketing and create systems, but did not have as much experience in the particular industry she was going into. She saw an opportunity and seized it, using her background in business and lots of experimentation and research.
Our conversation focuses on a lot of the early stages, lessons and more.
- What Field Goods Is and why it started
- How Field Goods got started with a website, an old station wagon and a high school kid
- Figuring out the systems to make Field Goods works and the pitfalls that were overcome
- Surprising events that occurred as Field Goods developed into what it is today
- The importance of having a varied background
- The importance of understanding business fundamentals
- Changing the way people eat
- Price analyzing the food industry – where your money really goes
- A throwback to en earlier episode with Ben Giardullo
- and so much more!
Love the show?
If you love our show, please support us by:
- Sharing it with your friends
- Leaving a comment on the show notes
- Writing a review on iTunes or Facebook
- Donating on Patreon
- Contacting us to learn about sponsorship opportunities
- Contacting us for a feature/interview